As Babies, Our First Language is BODY Language!

Babies & Body Language
Babies & Body Language

As babies, we are natural experts in body language.  In order to survive and thrive, it is essential that babies mirror, develop, and understand body language while interacting and communicating with caregivers.

Mirror neurons are found in the Broca’s area of the frontal cortex and help babies imitate the facial expressions, motor muscle control, and body language of their caregivers.  And through play and social interaction, babies learn about their environment; learn how to connect, bond, and build trust with caregivers; and then begin to develop the neurological, emotional, linguistic, and empathetic foundations for healthy sense of selves.

Edward Tronick, Ph.D, Director of Child Development at Harvard University shows the importance of this social interaction on babies in his Still Face Experiment and research:

The baby in the video enjoys playful interaction with her mother.  However, after just a few seconds of “Still Face” mother not providing the social interaction desired or expected, the baby became confused, frustrated, and distressed.  Just imagine how baby development may be negatively affected if “Still Face” parent continued for weeks, months, or even years.

As we increase mastery of verbal language, we then start to decrease the reliance of our initial language…body language.  This shift is unfortunate because words contribute only about 7% of total communication with the remaining 93% attributable to body and paralanguage.  In addition, verbal language is often considered as auditory sounds, but verbal language is actually possible because of motor ability and muscle control.

References:

One thought on “As Babies, Our First Language is BODY Language!

  1. is updated frequently with free advice about Google Ad – Words
    strategy, tactics, tips tricks and techniques for success in Ad – Words
    advertising. This will allow you to answer only those calls that come in on your forwarded toll free number and
    route other calls to different locations. What Googlebot
    is looking to see in the Free Local Google Advertising Listings is
    quite another.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s