“HEY, HEY, HEY…I Got NOTHING to SAY!!”
On November 15, 2014, NPR Scott Simon interviewed actor and comedian Bill Cosby on Weekend Edition Saturday. When Scott Simon offered Mr. Cosby the opportunity to respond to recently resurfaced sexual assault allegations, Bill Cosby silently and non-verbally shook his head ‘No’ and wagged his index finger. Cosby’s silence was deafening because his BODY language spoke loud and clear.
Go to NPR.org for more details of the NPR interview:
Also check out the CNN YouTube Video: Bill Cosby silent on rape claims
In response to previous sexual assault allegations, Cosby’s attorney, John P. Schmitt issued and released the following written response:
“Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced. The fact they are being repeated does not make them true. Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment. He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work. There will be no further statement from Mr. Cosby or any of his representatives.”
Accurate Body Language breaks down the words in a Statement Analysis:
First Sentence: “Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced.”
- Not a strong denial.
- If you were falsely accused of drugging and raping a woman, or many women in the Cosby case, what would be your first and immediate response to defend yourself?
- The strongest denial statement would be, “These allegations are FALSE, Mr. Bill Cosby didn’t sexually assault any woman…PERIOD!!”
- Instead of empathetically stating the allegations are FALSE, the attorney used the weaker terms, “…decade-old, discredited…”
- Because decades have past, does that make the allegations false? Also, discredited…? By whom, Bill Cosby and his legal team…? Using the word ‘discredited’ does not equal the word ‘FALSE.’
- Another important point to note is that problems resurface over and over because the issues have not been completely resolved.
Second Sentence: “The fact they are being repeated does not make them true.”
- Another weak non-denial sentence, “The fact they are being repeated does not make them true.”
- Repeating a true statement does not make the statement true, a true statement is true at the core foundation.
- Notice again, Bill Cosby’s legal team did not say, “These allegations are FALSE! They were false when they came out initially, and they are false every time they resurface or are repeated!!”
Third Sentence: “Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment.”
- Attorney Schmitt attempts to use the “Halo” effect by portraying Mr. Cosby above the (self-imposed) scandal (if the allegations by numerous women are indeed false) by using the phrase “…does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment.”
- In addition, what people say they ‘intend‘ to do (statement analysis) may be different than what they actually do (behavior analysis).
- Once again, the statement does not directly deny these decade-old, discredited, allegations.
Fourth Sentence: “He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work.”
- Redirects attention back to Cosby thanking his fans, reminding everyone that Bill Cosby is a beloved celebrity.
- Attorney Schmitt also subtly suggests everyone to leave him alone because he is now old at age 77, and that he is doing his best work.
- Another opportunity that Schmitt fails to issue a direct denial of the sexual assault allegations.
- Notice Schmitt does not say that Bill Cosby wants to ‘assure them (i.e., his fans) that he didn’t sexually assault anybody!’
Fifth Sentence: “There will be no further statement from Mr. Cosby or any of his representatives.”
- Concludes the whole paragraph of non-denial.
- Although there may be ‘no further statement from Mr. Cosby or any of his representatives,’ the numerous women may continue their “…decade-old, discredited…allegations” much to the distress of Mr. Bill Cosby.
Accurate Body Language:
“From Head-to-Toes, the BODY Always Shows…the TRUTH!” “Get-to-the TRUTH!” Janette Ghedotte is an EXPERT in Human Behavior & Communication:
- Get to the TRUTH faster
- Avoid costly mistakes
- Maximize CONFIDENCE, COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE, and CAREERS with Body Language and Lie-Spotting SAVVY!
CONTACT Accurate Body Language, LLC today:
- Comprehensive Body Language and Statement Analysis
- Fraud and Deception Detection
- Effective Interview & Interrogation Techniques
- Human Behavior, Relationships, and Communication
- Management / Employee / Sales Team Development
- Speaking Engagements / Keynote Presentations / Conferences
- Education / Training / Workshops / Seminars
- Jury Consultant / Commentary on Criminal Cases