Oops, Josh Duggar did it AGAIN!
Just when Josh Duggar thought he was out of the media spotlight for molesting four of his sisters when they were young children, hackers exposed Duggar in yet another sexual scandal involving numerous affairs on the Ashley Madison website for marital cheaters.
After Duggar confessed when he was a teenager, his parents Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar minimized and covered up his sexual molestation behaviors against his sisters. The parents now let Josh speak for himself to apologize for the Ashley Madison debacle. In June 2015, two of his sisters, Jill Duggar and Jessa Duggar, went on TV with Fox News interviewer Megyn Kelly to defend and minimize brother Josh’s inappropriate sexual actions. Jill and Jessa tearfully claimed they didn’t even know they were molested and victimized.
Accurate Body Language provides the following statement analysis of Duggar’s apology issued on August 20, 2015:
JD, “I have been the biggest hypocrite ever.”
- Duggar begins the sentence with the pronoun “I.” This is a strong, straight to the point denial that hits to the heart of the matter.
- He uses no qualifiers, no excuses, and no stop and start stuttering. Remember examples:
- Jerry Sandusky, “Ok, those allegations are false…I didn’t (increased blink rate) do those things…I don’t know…(asymmetrical shoulder shrug)”
- Tom Brady, “I didn’t…you know…have any…(increased blink rate)…ah…you know…, I didn’t… alter the ball in any way…”
- “I have been the biggest hypocrite…” is a past-tense phrase instead of saying the more correct present-tense phrase, “I am the biggest hypocrite ever.”
- Hypocrite is a softer word than saying, “I am a marital cheater.”
JD, “While espousing faith and family values, I have been unfaithful to my wife.”
- This is the revised, edited version of Duggar’s original statement,“While espousing faith and family values, I have secretly over the last several years been viewing pornography on the internet and this became a secret addiction and I became unfaithful to my wife.”
- Duggar continues personal responsibility and accountability with the use of pronoun “I” twice.
- He mentions the broad time frame (i.e., over the last several years) of his secret.
- He omits his original negative words “pornography…secret addiction…” In addition, the word “addiction” can be viewed as an excuse or explanation for his infidelities.
- Pronoun “my wife” indicates his personal relationship, although her name Anna Renee is not mentioned directly.
JD, “I am so ashamed of the double life that I have been living and am grieved for the hurt, pain and disgrace my sin has caused my wife and family, and most of all Jesus and all those who profess faith in Him.”
- Duggar continues personal responsibility and accountability with the use of pronoun “I” or “my” four times in this sentence.
- Use of “my wife and family” indicates a close, rather than a distant, relationship.
- “am grieved” omits the pronoun “I” and sounds odd. He does not say, “I am sorry…”
- “am grieved” are past tense language for the present-tense words “…for the hurt, pain, and disgrace my sin…”
- Although Duggar takes accountability for, “My sin…,” sin is singular, as if he had only one occurrence of indiscretion. The truth involves many affairs, not just one.
- Use of religious reference, “most of all Jesus and all those who profess faith in Him” reminds readers that Josh is ‘spiritual’ and he hopes that you are spiritual enough to forgive him.
JD, “I brought hurt and a reproach to my family, close friends and the fans of our show with my actions that happened when I was 14-15 years old, and now I have re-broken their trust.”
- “…my actions” are vague, general words to a more accurate description of his incestuous molestation of four of his sisters when they were young children.
- “14-15 years old” are qualifying, softening words to discount his actions that he did when he was a teenager. This phrase has been removed from the latest edited version of his apology.
JD, “The last few years, while publicly stating I was fighting against immorality in our country, in my heart I had allowed Satan to build a fortress that no one knew about.”
- “…in my heart I had allowed Satan to build a fortress that no one knew about.” was later edited to a softer phrase, “…I was hiding my own personal failings.”
- “…my personal failings” are vague, general words to a more accurate description of his marital adultery.
- Duggar continues to hold himself accountable with his proper use of personal pronouns “I” and “my.”
JD, “As I am learning the hard way, we have the freedom to choose to our actions, but we do not get to choose our consequences.”
- He switches pronouns from “I” to “we” to include the readers regarding actions and consequences.
- Duggar is in the process of “…learning the hard way…,” he has not yet LEARNED his lessons. Perhaps, because his family covered up, minimized, and prevented him from receiving legitimate treatment or legal consequences for his sexual molestation behaviors when he was a teenager, Josh was enabled to continue his inappropriate sexual behaviors against his wife and four young children now as an adult.
- Actions do result in associated consequences…if he didn’t want certain consequences, he shouldn’t have done certain actions. His sentence suggests that “…we do not get to choose our consequences.”
JD, “I deeply regret all hurt I have caused so many by being such a bad example.”
- The words, “…deeply regret…” are not the same as the words “I’m deeply sorry…” His regret my be related to being caught instead of being sincerely sorry for the hurt he caused.
JD, “I humbly ask for your forgiveness.”
- Asking for our forgiveness requires action from the us,
- Josh Duggar should instead state what steps and actions he is going to do to improve his life and his relationships with the people he hurt.
JD, “Please pray for my precious wife Anna and our family during this time.”
- Again Duggar is asking for action from us, instead of telling us what HE is going to do to improve his life and his relationships with the people whom he has hurt.
- For example, he doesn’t say, “I will enroll in intensive marital and individual counseling to address my character flaws…” etc.
- Duggar includes religious and spiritual language, “Please pray,” to soften and redirect his personal accountability and actions away from him and to us to do.
- Use of the word “…precious wife…” helps to redirect our focus and our mercy towards his wife Anna, the victim of his self-imposed, self-destructive behavior.
JD, “Josh Duggar.”
- Instead of his typed first and last name, Duggar should’ve signed his first and last name.
“From Head-to-Toes, the BODY Always Shows…the TRUTH!!”
SUBSCRIBE to Accurate Body Language Today:
- Stop the Lies
- Get to the TRUTH faster
- Avoid costly mistakes
- Maximize CONFIDENCE, COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE, and CAREERS with Body Language and Lie-Spotting SAVVY!
“Get-to-the TRUTH!” Janette Ghedotte is an EXPERT in Human Behavior & Communication:
CONTACT Accurate Body Language, LLC:
- Comprehensive Body Language and Statement Analysis
- Fraud and Deception Detection
- Effective Interview & Interrogation Techniques
- Human Behavior, Relationships, and Communication
- Management / Employee / Sales Team Development
- Speaking Engagements / Keynote Presentations / Conferences
- Education / Training / Workshops / Seminars
- Jury Consultant / Commentary on Criminal Cases