A Handshake is More than Just a Greeting;
a Handshake Conveys Personal Dominance, Power, and Control.
At the United Nations in New York on Tuesday, September 29 2015, Russian president Vladimir Putin and US president Barack Obama discussed the situation in Syria.
Accurate Body Language Analysis
of Obama-Putin Handshake Revealed 3Ds:
Dislike, Disrespect, and Discomfort
Video @ 3 secs:
- As they entered the room, Obama controlled the movement by gesturing with an alpha-directive hand signal, giving the ‘OK’ for Putin to enter the room.
Video @ 6 secs:
- Putin lacked personal power in his stride, submissive downward head, and lowered eye gaze.
- Notice Obama did not look at Putin. Obama had tight lips as he entered room.
- Taller Obama has height advantage over shorter Putin.
- The two men were not in-synch or mirroring each other in harmonious body language.
Video @ 7 secs:
- Although now both men had similar downward eye-gaze, their walking pace and left arm swing were not matched in rhythm and stride.
- Facial expressions and body language showed lack of rapport with, and even dislike of each other.
Video @ 9 secs:
- Both men demonstrated slightly slumped shoulders and lack of eye contact with each other.
- They avoided positioning torsos toward each other, indicating discomfort in, and distancing from, each other’s presence.
Video @ 10 secs:
- Although Putin was positioned in power position (LEFT in photo) with right hand covering Obama’s (i.e., showing the ‘upper hand’ in handshake), his beta eye gaze looked upward at Obama, who squinted and did not appear to return the look toward Putin.
- Both men did not giving each other any ‘friendly’ facial or body language indicators (e.g., eyebrow flash, genuine smile, ease, full arm extension or full torso directly facing each other, etc.).
Video @ 12 secs:
- Displeasure continued with ‘forced’ fake smiles only for photo opportunity…, not for each other.
- Obama controlled handshake and led Putin with two strong, brief, yet definite hand pumps.
- In the 2013 G20 Summit, Obama controlled Putin with handshake of approximately 20 hand pumps!
- They lacked full arm extension or full torso directly facing each other.
Video @ 13 secs:
- Forced, tight smile on Obama. Putin’s lips were not as tightly pressed together.
- These two world leaders couldn’t stand to look at each other!
Video @ 14 secs:
- Putin silently turned to leave, and continued downward head and eye-gaze.
- Obama looked at, and verbally said, “Thank you, everybody” to the audience.
- Throughout the entire interchange, Obama led by gesturing 4 to 5 strong and solid vertical “yes” head gestures.
Video @ 17 secs:
- With perpetual downward eye gaze, Putin silently ‘followed the leader’ and walked behind Obama.
- Obama’s head was more erect as he walked ahead of Putin.
Within less than 20 seconds, Putin and Obama revealed various dislike, disrespect, and discomfort ‘foe’ signals with their misaligned body language indicating that their interpersonal relationship and their discussions regarding Syria were strained.
From Head-to-Toes, the BODY Always Shows…the TRUTH!!
Make sure YOUR greetings and handshakes are strong and confident!
SUBSCRIBE to Accurate Body Language Today:
- Stop the Lies
- Get to the TRUTH faster
- Avoid costly mistakes
- Maximize CONFIDENCE, COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE, and CAREERS with Body Language and Lie-Spotting SAVVY!
“Get-to-the TRUTH!” Janette Ghedotte is an EXPERT in Human Behavior & Communication:
CONTACT Accurate Body Language, LLC:
- Comprehensive Body Language and Statement Analysis
- Fraud and Deception Detection
- Effective Interview & Interrogation Techniques
- Human Behavior, Relationships, and Communication
- Management / Employee / Sales Team Development
- Speaking Engagements / Keynote Presentations / Conferences
- Education / Training / Workshops / Seminars
- Jury Consultant / Commentary on Criminal Cases